Sunday 14 November 2010

Products have lives

My family got our first video recorder in 1982. It was a Betamax! I remember that the shop we bought it from also supplied us with a hookie copy of ET - picture quality not bad, but ten minutes from the middle missing.

My first personal VHS machine was bought on my nineteenth birthday - 1992. First films I bought for myself were Highlander and The name of the Rose. Over the next five years I built up quite a collection of films before shifting onto DVD, then Blu-Ray. I kept a VHS machine so I could still play the movies I had but didn't like enough to upgrade to DVD - until now.

This evening I threw out my VHS recorder - I caved in and came back from the shops with an Apple TV. Most shops stopped selling VHS machines a few years ago, at least in the UK.

As technology advances, new products are introduced, and old ones die. This has significance for firms operating in markets that support the hardware - such as the many movie-rental outlets that have pretty much disappeared from the High St.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a VHS to USB machine in PC World at the weekend! Stick in your old VHS cassette and transfer it to your hard disk. I really do wonder how many of those they sell. By the way, apologies for going into PC World. I do try to avoid the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. The end of a product life sees all sorts of little gadgets being released in the transitionary period.

    We had the equivalent for vinyl and audio cassette.

    Shall we tell the grandkids how difficult it used to be to transport large files around?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome - this isn't intended to be a formal place but please show consideration for others.